Keeping up my promise, here is the first soup recipe of this season using radish greens. Though you get radish through out the year, the ones you get during winter is so much more tasty and fresh. How many of you use the radish greens?
Till some years ago, even I used to remove it and leave it in the vegetable shop itself after the shop keeper weighs it 😅. You learn every day and I learnt that radish greens has more nutrients than the radish itself. It is filled with so many anti oxidant properties and is also used as a medication for jaundice and rheumatism. So, before you cook radish, do remember to use the greens .
It is easy to cook them. To clean , just fold the leaf vertically in half, remove the stem in the centre . For more clarity, check my ‘radish greens poriyal recipe’ for stepwise pictures.
Mullangi Keerai Soup | Radish Greens Soup:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup : 250 ml cup
Important Note : I have used mixed dal in this recipe but you can use one or many dals of your choice
To be pressure cooked :
2 cups radish greens ( cleaned and washed)
1/4 cup mixed dal /lentils
( I added a teaspoon of channa dal, masoor dal, split black urad dal, toor dal , green moong dal)
2 garlic pods
1 small green chilli ( optional)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
Other ingredients :
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns ( coarsely powdered)
1 tablespoon lemon juice ( adjust according to your taste)
salt to taste
For garnish ( optional):
toasted bread, cream , fried onions , fresh coriander or mint
1. Pressure cook radish greens along with dal, garlic pods, turmeric powder with 3 cups of water upto 3 whistles over medium flame.
2. Allow it to cool completely and grind the mixture coarsely .
3. Transfer it back to the pressure cooker or any other pan , place it over low heat and adjust water quantity according to the soup consistency you like.
4. Add peppercorns, salt and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Taste and adjust spice and salt according to your taste and switch off.
6. Stir in the lemon juice , garnish and serve hot.
Happy Cooking !