In Gurgaon, I get ready made mixed dals which has toor dal, channa dal, green moong dal, split black gram dal. You can add equal amounts of these to make this dosai. The dosai was a big hit in my home and trust me, no one likes ragi so much . But, they loved this dosai as it was so tasty.
This dosai is gluten free , wholesome and so easy to make .
Ragi Paruppu Dosai | Finger Millet Lentil Dosai :
Preparation time: 4 hours
Cooking time : 3-4 minutes per dosai
Makes : 40-45 medium size dosai ( approximately)
Special Equipment/ Vessels : Dosai tava, dosai(flat) spatula
1 cup = 250 ml cup
For the Dosai batter:
3 cup mixed dals
3 cups ragi/finger millet flour
4-5 dry red chillies ( used the long variety)
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
salt to taste
Other ingredients :
1 tablespoon sesame oil ( you also can oil of your choice also)
1. Wash and soak dals along with dry red chillies for four hours .
2. Grind them smoothly in batches using 1 cup of water.
Chef tip: I like to grind the batter thick and dilute as and when I am making the dosai.
3. To the ground dal mixture, add ragi flour, salt, asafoetida and curry leaves ( if you are adding )and mix well using your hand .
Chef tip : You can add 1 cup of water and make a loose batter.
4. Allow the batter to rest for 5-6 hours.
Note : The batter does not require fermenting and can be used immediately. But the taste and texture of the dosai gets even better after resting. In fact , you can rest the batter in the refrigerator overnight , dilute the batter and make dosai next day. Tastes great.
5. Your Ragi paruppu dosai batter is now ready. You can refrigerate and use the batter upto 3-4 days.
6. Before making dosai, take small portion of the batter ( 2 cups ) in another vessel, dilute the batter using 1 cup water , mix well and start making dosai.
Important note : The batter should be in room temperature to get that perfect colour and texture.
Few Additional Tips :
You can add curry leaves either in the batter while grinding or can tear and add them to the batter . You can also sprinkle grated vegetables of your choice after spreading the dosai . Press lightly with the spatula and then flip and cook .
Happy Cooking !