I have earlier shared with you all my desire to create ‘salads’ that change the perception of my family towards ‘Salad’ and begin to view it as tasty dish rather than eat ‘ raw leaves, fruits or vegetables ‘. Also, it gets difficult for me to make ‘salad’ only for myself. I am not so motivated to make something just for myself in the way I am to cook for every one.
So, I have been building salads from seasonal and easily available ingredients that suit the Indian palate. So far, every salad that have done in the past week has been liked and appreciated by my family.
Once recipes get approved by my In-House Food critics,they get blogged here. So, you can go ahead and try them in your kitchen. The show stealer of this salad are the roasted cauliflower. I learnt so many tips and tricks to roast cauliflower beautifully from my friend Jill —>
I must also talk to you about the Ragi Aval /Finger Millet Poha / Flattened Finger Millet . I got these from a super market in Chennai. They are so easy to cook. Hardly takes 10 minutes to wash and steam them. You get all millets in this form. I personally find it so easy to cook them and they taste great too. I tossed them in ghee for flavour. I am sure you all know that ‘Ghee’ /clarified butter is so good for health. But if you are Vegan, you can use oil.
What can I say about the lightly crisp chickpeas ? They simply elevate the taste and raise the bar of this Salad. “One of the best tasting salads that you have ever made” – says my daughter. I am so happy.
Roasted Cauliflower and Ragi Aval/Poha Salad Recipe :
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 2-3
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup chickpeas /garbanzo beans ( soaked and boiled)
1 cup ragi aval /poha/ flattened finger millet
1 medium size cauliflower ( chop it into florets)
1 large garlic pod ( finely chopped)
1 large onion ( sliced thinly)
5-6 peppercorns (freshly crushed )
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri Chilli powder ( or any other chilli powder of your choice)
1 teaspoon melted ghee/clarified butter
2 teaspoons oil ( of your choice )
salt to taste
For garnish :
fresh herbs of your choice
For the Tahini Dressing :
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
3 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice ( freshly squeezed, adjust)
pinch of powdered jaggery ( add more if you like the taste)
salt to taste
Note : You can lightly roast and powder sesame seeds ahead. Mix the other ingredients and make the dressing . Also, I have given the dressing quantity more as it is difficult to grind smaller quantities in my mixer. You can store it in the refrigerator and use it upto a week.
1. Roast the sesame seeds over low flame till they start popping and switch off.
2. Grind them smoothly along with oil , lemon juice , jaggery and salt.
3. Transfer it to a clean, odour free bottle. Your dressing is ready.
4. To make the salad, first heat a wide pan with 1 teaspoon oil.
5. Add chopped garlic and roast them over medium flame till they turn light brown.
6. Now add the onions , add salt and roast them till they become translucent and lightly brown.
7. Transfer the garlic mixture into another bowl, and place the wise pan back on low flame.
8. Add 1/2 teaspoon of oil and when it heats up, add the cauliflower florets .
9. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously so that each floret gets well roasted .
10. When the florets get well roasted , add the onions and garlic mixture into the pan, add crushed peppercorns and salt.
11. Let them cook over low flame for another 4-5 minutes and then switch off.
Chef tip : You can transfer them into serving bowls/salad bowls.
12. Wash the ragi aval and steam it for 10 minutes and switch off.
13. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and using a fork , remove any lumps.
14. Heat a pan with ghee and add the ragi aval, pinch of salt and mix well.
15. Fry for just a few minutes and transfer them into serving bowls/salad bowl.
16. Heat a pan with the remaining oil over low flame.
17. Add boiled chickpeas, turmeric powder, jeera powder, chilli powder, salt and mix.
18. Fry over low flame for 5-6 minutes or till they are get lightly roasted.
19. Add the chickpeas into the salad bowl.
20. Tear and add fresh herbs of your choice.
21. Drizzle a teaspoon of the dressing into each bowl.
Mix well and enjoy your most delicious salad meal .
Happy Cooking !